Compliance Duties and Responsibilities (75%)
- Monitors compliance with governing documents and work with appropriate staff to make sure that compliance is maintained. Establish and maintain a tickler system for reporting.
- Trains on-site staff on all occupancy issues, including resident files, certifications, and reporting requirements. Ensures that systems are in place to monitor site compliance with all regulatory agreements and requirements. Ensures full compliance through site audits, one-on-one and group training.
- Regularly audits 5% of files for sites with upcoming regulatory agency inspections and audits or as assigned by Compliance Manager or Associate Director of Compliance.
- Provides leadership at assigned sites during annual certifications. This will include working on-site at specified mass recertification properties for a period of one month leading up to the effective date of the certification. The Floating Property Manager II will be assigned to no less than four (4) properties per year to prepare for mass recertifications.
- Reviews and approves files for move-in for all properties within the Eden portfolio.
- Suggests and submits articles for Compliance Newsletter on a monthly basis. Will assist with preparation of the Compliance Newsletter
Duties and Responsibilities for Coverage of Vacant or Absent Property Manager Positions (25%)
- Under the direction of the Compliance Manager or the Associate Director of Compliance, the Floating Property Manager II is responsible for providing coverage for vacant or absent property manager positions while fulfilling compliance monitoring for assigned properties. While providing coverage for vacant or absent property manager positions, the Floating Property Manager II will oversee the overall operation of the property and the day to day implementation of those policies, procedures and programs that will assure a well-managed, well-maintained building within established management operating and fiscal policies and assuring compliance with all regulatory agencies and investors. This includes maintaining within the project a supportive environment for all residents, assuring the project’s sound fiscal management, maintaining a clean, well-maintained building and grounds, managing the onsite staff and their duties, interacting with and supervising vendors, and if applicable, working with a Board of Directors.
- The Floating Property Manager II must relate well to people, must exercise good judgment and discretion in dealing with residents, visitors, vendors, and staff. The Floating Property Manager II is required to provide leadership in developing a community and in directing the staff. The Floating Property Manager II is expected to facilitate a staff that functions as a team and is cooperative with each other, the residents, and visitors to the property.
- The Floating Property Manager II may directly supervise one or more employees in accordance with Eden Housing’s policies and applicable laws.
Below is a detailed description of the duties and responsibilities for providing coverage of vacant or absent property manager positions. Some or all of these duties and responsibilities may be included when assigned to a property:
Physical Asset and Maintenance/Janitorial Management
- Supervises maintenance and janitorial staff, including any contract or temporary personnel working at the property.
- Supervises all vendors, contractors, and providers of service to the property, whether paid or volunteer, to ensure completion and quality of product provided.
- Establishes a schedule for personnel to be available for emergency maintenance.
- Supervises or performs the scheduling of routine maintenance and janitorial work and completes regular follow up inspections on maintenance and janitorial work.
- Ensures preparation of preventative maintenance checklists by day, week, month or year for maintenance personnel to perform, ensures the completion of tasks on the checklists, and ensures that all work is completed in a timely manner.
- Performs continual informal inspections of the property to ensure that it is being properly maintained, that mechanical devices are in working order, and that the environment is safe and attractive.
- Inspects exterior and interior common areas of the property monthly using approved checklist.
- Performs annual or more frequent inspections of units and follows up with housekeeping letters, preparation of work orders and maintenance charge-backs to residents.
- Ensures all vacant apartment turnover procedures are followed, and that turnovers are accomplished in a timeframe and manner consistent with Eden Housing standards, and the property’s budgetary goals and limitations.
- Reviews completed and outstanding work orders on a daily basis. Ensures the work orders are completed in a timely manner, consistent with Eden policies and procedures.
- Prepares list of capital replacements required or anticipated, when applicable, and submits to Property Supervisor in advance of budget preparation.
- Prepares inventory of building contents, tools and equipment annually or as requested, and forwards to Property Supervisor for review.
- Bids out and selects contract services, negotiates vendor service agreements and monitors day-to-day vendor performance to assure full compliance with standards established within the service agreement under the supervision of the Property Supervisor.
- Ensures adherence of the building and its contents to all applicable municipal and fire codes.
- Prepares written recommendations for physical repairs and/or replacements, improvements, supplies, material and equipment to Property Supervisor.
- Ensures the update and completion of the Material Safety Data Sheets as well as other safety related inspections and reports.
- Ensures adherence to all maintenance requirements of Eden Housing.
Marketing and Leasing
- Maintains full occupancy.
- Markets units by preparing advertising and marketing programs in compliance with federal, state, local and regulatory requirements. Makes recommendations to improve marketing and leasing programs.
- Assigns units in the order provided by the Waiting List and according to Eden Housing policy and procedures. Ensures the development and ongoing administration and maintenance of the waiting list is in compliance with federal, state, local, regulatory and Eden Housing requirements.
- Reviews all completed rental applications and leases for accuracy and completeness, and for conformance to Eden Housing’s Resident Selection Policy.
- Supervises all staff in the turnover of vacant rental units.
- Conducts applicant interviews, verifies potential resident income, and takes deposits and rents in accordance with Eden Housing’s Resident Selection Policy.
- Obtains appropriate documentation and completes certifications.
- Walks a vacant apartment when completed by maintenance personnel or vendors to ensure they are clean and ready to show.
- Walks entire property daily to be sure the common areas, landscaping, laundry, etc. are in good condition.
- Supervises move-in and move-out procedures.
- Conducts marketing and public relations tours during office hours or by appointment, as appropriate.
- Prepares regular market surveys, as requested.
- Prepares weekly Vacancy Reports, monthly Budget Variance Reports, Management Overview Reports, and ensures resident lists are accurate and up-to-date at all times.
- Attends and participates in outside or in-house activities, meetings, organizations, regulatory agency meetings or inspections, etc. as required by the needs of the property and as directed by the Property Supervisor to enhance the sense of community at the property and to enhance the public image of the property.
- Promotes harmonious relations among residents, staff, vendors, and persons of the larger community.
- Maintains congenial relationships with all residents, is understanding of and sensitive to cultural background, economic status, those with special needs, and adheres to Fair Housing, Equal Employment and Equal Housing Opportunity requirements.
- Develops a sense of community among property residents by maintaining good resident-to-resident relationships, staff-to resident relationships, staff-to-staff relationships, and nurturing positive interactions and activities at the property.
- Ensures all site staff responds to all resident requests or complaints in a timely, efficient and courteous manner.
- Receives work order repair requests, schedules repairs with maintenance staff, and follows up to be certain repairs were completed properly and in a timely manner.
- Manages resident evictions in compliance with court order and directions from Eden Housing’s legal counsel or Property Supervisor.
- Convenes and chairs resident meetings in accordance with Eden Housing standards and requirements.
- Coordinates with Resident Services in order to assist residents with social services needs or problems.
- Provides a resident comment and evaluation form to each resident annually. Prepares and reviews summary for submission to Property Supervisor. Acts on feedback from resident comment and evaluation form as directed by Property Supervisor.
- Develops and provides support to resident organizations, as needed and as requested by resident organization.
- Represents the property to local social service agencies and funding sources, as requested by the Property Supervisor.
Financial Reporting and Control
- Ensures the successful day-to-day financial management of the property and maintains all necessary financial records and files in good order.
- Collects rents and other monies, and ensures that all transactions are processed and inputted accurately and completely in the YARDI computer accounting system using procedures set forth by Eden Housing.
- Supervises or completes daily deposits of all monies collected.
- Reviews all delinquent accounts and resident receivables, and determines necessary course of action to collect outstanding balances in consultation with the Property Supervisor.
- On a monthly basis, compares lease information with monthly rent roll to ensure that the property security deposits, rents, move in dates, etc. are accurate.
- Utilizes purchase orders when making purchases for the property.
- Reviews the property’s monthly income and expense statement and reports any areas considered a problem to Property Supervisor.
- Provides initial draft of the annual site budget by the deadline given annually by the Property Supervisor.
- Maintains compliance within the budget during the fiscal year in order to ensure the fiscal integrity of the project under the direction of the Property Supervisor.
- Prepares monthly financial packages for submission to the Property Supervisor.
- Prepares weekly Vacancy and Delinquency Reports and submits them in a timely manner to the Eden Housing office.
- Completes a Monthly Budget Variance Report and submits it on time.
- Completes and submits to the Property Supervisor within 24 hours, any incident that occurs on the property out of the ordinary or which could become an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Adheres to all accounting and reporting procedures required by Eden Housing.
- Supervises or completes all resident files at move-in and at each recertification accurately and completely.
- Supervises or completes timely and accurate income recertification of all residents within established regulatory guidelines.
- Processes and maintains all resident documents and forms including leases, income certifications and recertifications, etc.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory and/or financial partner requirements, and requests for information to include but not limited to the preparation and submission of reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provides reports to Property Supervisor upon request.
- Manages the day-to-day administration of the property office, including answering telephones during normal business hours; interacting with residents in a courteous and professional manner; sorting, distributing, opening and answering mail daily; coding invoices daily; and handling resident inquiries and concerns. Ensures the office is clean and well organized, and that it and the staff are presentable to the public.
- Adheres to Eden Housing performance standards.
- Exercises common sense, good judgment, consistency and self-control in day-to-day contact with residents and in other business-related matters.
- Ensures consistent application of property rules and regulations, lease and lease addenda. Documents and reports all violations in the property log.
- Ensures proper maintenance and storage of property files and records.
- Ensures that all property staff adhere to all systems, procedures, timelines and formats established by Eden Housing including the filing systems, business correspondence, purchasing procedures, rental collections, recertifications with proper documentation, property maintenance records, personnel procedures required, etc.
- Collects, analyzes and reports the statistical data as requested to provide an accurate and current assessment of the property and its needs.
- Ensures that any emergency that may arise on site is responded to promptly and assigns staff, including self, to be available in this event. Completes incident reports and forwards to Property Supervisor within 24 hours.
- Posts all licenses, permits, notices and occupancy permits required by federal, state and local jurisdictions.
- Attends trade association meetings and seminars to keep up to date on trends and changing conditions, as requested and/or required by the Property Supervisor.
- Communicates all problems and resolves them or makes recommendations to Property Supervisor for resolution.
- Interviews, hires, trains, evaluates, motivates, disciplines, and terminates all staff under the direction of the Property Supervisor and in accordance with Eden Housing Personnel Policies.
- Conducts the introductory and annual evaluation of all staff and goals for the staff in accordance with departmental goals and objectives. Recommends promotions, salary adjustments and disciplinary actions.
- Determines appropriate personnel needed to complete maintenance jobs within the capability of the staff and through the use of temporary personnel in consultation with the lead maintenance technician, if applicable, and with approval of the Property Supervisor.
- Interacts effectively with Resident Services staff in resolving resident issues and concerns.
- Reviews, approves and submits employee timesheets to Central office based on the posted payroll schedule.
- Ensures appropriate staff development and/or training, including his/her own.
- Completes Workers Compensation reports for injured employees according to Eden Housing policies and procedures.
- Ensures all staff adheres to fair housing laws.
- Develops and maintains good staff working relationships, provides leadership to inspire the spirit of teamwork, and encourages cooperation among the staff.
- Ensures staff interacts professionally and respectfully with all residents and with each other.
- Ensures the housing program (services and activities provided by the property) is maintained as directed by governing documents, the Board of Directors, Eden Housing, and/or the regulatory agency.
Other Property Management Tasks
- Provides direct assistance and direction during after-hours emergencies, as needed.
- Schedules and supervises fire alarm inspections where appropriate and ensures accompanying paperwork is completed.
- Conducts monthly staff meetings wherein safety is a standing item of information and discussion.
- Performs other activities or tasks not outlined above as assigned by Property Supervisor to ensure the viable operation of the property.
While providing coverage for property managers on leave or for vacant property manager positions, may directly supervise one or more employees in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems, under the supervision of the Compliance Manager or the Associate Director of Compliance.